|Job Title:||Radio Station Manager|
Radio Dawn is an Islamic radio with following mission: to inspire, educate and entertain by providing Islamic teachings, recitation of the Quran, Nasheeds, qawwalie and discussions. The role of the manager includes developing radio programming, promoting Radio Dawn’s innovative services to the Muslim community, coordinating volunteers by training and developing their broadcasting skills and maximising revenues from advertising and sponsorship.
| Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Possess a good knowledge and understanding of community radio broadcasting rules, regulations and requirements.
· Ensure Radio Dawn meets the requirements of its broadcasting license.
· Ensure all revenues from advertising and sponsorship are maintained and developed.
· Manage all radio shift producers providing appropriate training and supervision.
· Manage and maintain a personal profile development plan for all employed Radio Dawn staff.
· Supervise at least five shifts of five hours each week (including two shifts on weekends) as a shift in charge.
· Maintain, recruit and co-ordinate volunteer staff to ensure the delivery of daily and weekly live programmes.
· Maintain the Radio Dawn website to a high standard.
· Hold weekly editorial meetings with paid staff
Developing Radio Programming
· Improve and develop effective programming to meet the needs of diverse Muslim communities.
· Support the marketing and promotion plans of each deal through creative solutions internally and externally.
Organise Public Event and Engagements for All Communities on Different Occasions
· Develop and plan events for Islamic occasions (such as Milad, Muharram, Miraj, Shabberaat, Hijra, Ramadan and Eid)
Marketing and Promotion of Radio Dawn
· Represent Radio Dawn to the highest standards of professionalism to all clients and customers, by demonstrating a thorough understanding and strategic viewpoint of the community radio that Radio Dawn can offer to existing and potential advertisers
· Develop effective marketing of Radio Dawn in the community
· Produce, publish and distribute a bi-monthly two-page newsletter six times a year.
· Develop effective ways of recording and monitoring accurate listenership figures for Radio Dawn.
· Work and support volunteer presenters of English programmes to develop their skills, and make efforts to search for new young volunteers to work in radio on a voluntary basis.
· Enable shadowing opportunities to volunteers when presenting to clients and customers
· Maintain a strong profile and excellent customer relationships, to ensure that Radio Dawn has the right image across Nottinghamshire, by offering an unrivalled level of customer service that will lever greater revenue from clients.
· Organise trainings and workshops for the volunteers of Radio Dawn
· Develop a yearly certificate of appreciation of volunteers’ contributions to Radio Dawn.
· Hold regular meetings with the Sales and Marketing Manager regarding advert and sponsorship deals
· Ensure the publication of a three-month report by the Sales and Marketing Manager regarding all adverts and sponsorship details.
· Ensure the effective monitoring of Radio Dawn yearly budget.
· Perform all Radio Dawn admin duties, including paying bills, Ofcom, telephone/internet charges and the salaries of shift producers.
· Maximising and generating revenue from the public and corporate sector (working with colleagues, agencies and direct clients) and taking a consultative, creative and solution-driven focus.
· Searching for funding opportunities and writing bids for new grants and funding for the radio station.
· Design and run a membership scheme for radio listeners with a target of 200 members during the first year
To deliver on these objectives and fulfil the job role the following core competencies must be mastered and consistently demonstrated:
· To have a positive and enthusiastic attitude to calls, meetings, presentations and clients and to represent Radio Dawn in a professional manner at all times
· To demonstrate a high level of commercial awareness
· To deliver the highest level of professionalism to clients and colleagues
· Demonstrate a proactive attitude and awareness of commercial activity that can be channeled into developing new revenue streams
· To deliver all reports and administration responsibilities as directed by the station manager
· To demonstrate a complete understanding of the principles and techniques to consultative, creative and solution-driven selling
· To maximise revenues across the group through account planning and management
· Attend and positively contribute to all learning and development initiatives that you attend and work hard to implement the action points you have learned
|Support and Supervision
You will be reporting to and supported in your role by the operations director and chief executive who will ensure that you receive:
· Regular support/supervision, appraisals
· A Learning and Development Plan which will be developed with you on a six-monthly basis
· Coaching before and after any training to help you implement the techniques you learn
· Regular feedback on your performance highlighting areas of strength and opportunities to grow and develop
· Support in the field on client meetings, dealings with the network of relationships across the county and events where you feel your chances of success are enhanced by delivering a team sell or presentation
· Coaching, mentoring and on the job training
· Volunteer support in production of electronic and hard copies of sales materials.
Job-Specific Skills and Attributes
Essential Requirements and Attributes
To deliver on these objectives and fulfil your job role you need to have mastered and consistently demonstrate the following core competencies:
Knowledge and Experience
· An understanding of community radio
· Experience of generating new business streams within an advertising environment
· Ability to generate significant forward bookings and up-sell existing clients
· Strong negotiator
· Excellent relationship-building skills at all levels of a business
· Effective communication skills including excellent presentation skills, a confident telephone manner and excellent telephone sales skills
· Experience of working with volunteers
· Some understanding of marketing
· Ability to build complete knowledge of: market, competitors, publication, sales processes (particularly transactional, consultative and creative selling), administration procedures, media information, research and the media industry
· Have a positive and enthusiastic attitude to calls, meetings and clients and representing Radio Dawn
Preferred (but optional) Attributes
|Proven experience of media sales including selling media solutions, both in print and online, on the phone and face-to-face, as well as delivering complete media solutions
Online advertising and direct marketing experience
Strong written and verbal communicator